Announcements and Important Events
Weekly Communication 05/13/19
Good afternoon Whitney student-athletes, parents, and fans - Congratulations to the spring sports! We have had a tremendous first year in the Sierra Foothill League and experienced success in a wide range of sports. Some of our individual athletes and teams have achieved top rankings in the section and we are proud of their accomplishments.
- Baseball - With the regular season coming to a close, the Cats received the #14 seed in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division 2 playoffs and will travel to Rodriguez High School to play a first round playoff game.
- Golf (M) - The men’s golf team won the Sierra Foothill League title, the Sac-Joaquin Section Division 1 title, and was second at the Master’s Tournament to earn a bid in the NorCal Golf Tournament next week.
- Softball - The softball team finished the regular season with a #1 ranking in the Sacramento Bee and the winners of the Sierra Foothill League. The lady cats earned the #1 seed in the Sac-Joaquin Division 1 Play-offs and won on Monday to move on to round 2.
- Swimming - Kyland Parenti traveled to the State CIF Diving Meet to compete and finished up #11 in the state of California. His overall scores earned him All-American honors, identifying him as one of the top 100 divers in the nation.
- Tennis - Tennis competed for the section title and lost a heart-breaking match 6-3. The Wildcats were led by Andrew Duffey, Tom Gerrick, and Nathan Dinh who all earned wins in the finals. A great season for the Wildcats as they overcame adversity early in the season to become the section runner-up.
- Track and Field - The Wildcats competed in the Division 1 Section Meet with several Wildcats moving on to the Master’s meet. The Wildcats are led by Sydney Johnson and Caveli Hensley.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- Optimist invites for softball and baseball: Mazie and Makenzie MacFarlane, Chad Leonard
- Just passed at the last Sac-Joaquin Section Board of Managers meeting:
- Athletes can move up and down during league and non-league play (JV to Varsity to JV) but cannot exceed the maximum number of contacts.
- Spring Signing Day ceremony will be on 5/22/19 at 11:15 am in the library. We will be honoring the following student-athletes:
- Bedrin, Sierra (softball) - Saint Joseph's College
- Garman, Mackenzie (STUNT) - Concordia
- Hardy, Blythe (soccer) - Southern Virginia
- Parenti, Kyland (diving) - UCSD
- Payan, Rachel (track) - Hawaii
- Tovar, Marcus (soccer) - William Jessup
- Woodward, Bennett (track and XC) - CSU Chico
MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
- Monday - Softball vs. Chavez (CIF Play-offs)
- Tuesday - Baseball @ Rodriguez (CIF Play-offs)
- Wednesday - Softball vs. Bear Creek (CIF Play-offs)
- Thursday - Baseball TBD
- Friday - Softball TBD, Track @ Masters Meet
- Saturday - Track @ Masters Meet
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - From an athlete to a coach - “I am a young athlete. I am brave and strong and talented. But I’m still just a kid. I am not perfect. I am a work in progress. I need you to be patient while I test the limits of my body and work through the emotions that come with success and failure. When I make a mistake, I wonder if you’ll be disappointed. When I reach my goals, I look to see if you are watching. I am a young athlete. I love my sport. You call it competition. I call it playing the game. I want to win and have fun. I am a young athlete. I am your youth athlete. Winning feels great, but your praise feels infinitely better. Please remember these things, and I promise to do my best to make you proud."
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408