Announcements and Important Events
Weekly Communication 3/18/19
Good evening Whitney Student-athletes, Parents, and Community Members - I’m sure many of you are sick of the rain by now and ready for several continuous weeks of some nice, sunny California weather. However, in looking at the forecast I'm not sure if that is going to happen. Thank you for being patient as we navigated the rain and very wet facilities. It is crazy to think that we are already very deep in to spring sports and some sports have already had senior night ceremonies and some are right around the corner; while others have not played a league game yet.
- Baseball - The wildcats traveled to ponderosa high school on Friday night for the second annual strikeout cancer game. Junior max Pettey threw six innings allowing just one unearned run while recording 7 strikeouts. Along the way, Seniors Rober Jones and Christian Restori each collected two hits while Junior Ayden Popp hit a double and scored a run. Freshman Nathan Pearce threw a scoreless 7th inning to record the save. Final score cats 4 bruins 1.
- Softball - Great TEAM win behind starting pitcher Sierra Bedrin, Whitney had 14 hits including a 3 run bomb from Sierra Bedrin. Sierra also pitched a complete game only giving up 4 hits and 1 run..
- STUNT - Whitney travelled to Folsom to fight to defend their undefeated record this season. The girls played a strong game and successfully completed a level 6 routine in the 4th quarter as the lady cats won convincingly 21-2.
- Swimming - On senior night, the Varsity Girls won the 400 Free relay, Morgan Votava won her two races 200 IM and 100 Backstroke, Natalie Hogenboom PR'd in the 200 Free and won the 100 Free and Kate Jara had an all time best in the 100 Breast. On the men’s side, Tyler Peterson PR'd in the 200 free, Blaec Dettner PR'd in the 100 Fly, and Edi Stefanescu PR'd in the 50 free.
- Tennis - Despite facing some early season adversity, the men’s tennis team has started off 2-0 in league play with a huge win over Del Oro early last week. The match came down to the wire with the Wildcats rallying behind clutch performances from Hridayesh Joshi and the Doubles duos of Jeeth Pawar and Blake Davis as well as Tom Gerick and Vincent Le.
- Track and Field - No score report entered
- Volleyball (Men) - The wildcats beat Woodcreek in straight sets, 3-0. Everyone played well led by the dominating play of Jackson Cable.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- Attached is our official logo. As we move forward, we hope that many people will embrace the design and help us promote our program. This will help us brand our product in the community and region.
- Here is a link to the video played at the showcase night in the general assembly. A professional and well-planned video - https://youtu.be/sl92ONb82i8
MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
- Monday - JV golf (M) @ Oak Ridge
- Tuesday - V Golf (M) @ Del Oro, Tennis (M) @ Oak Ridge, Track vs. Del Oro, Softball vs. Oak Ridge, Volleyball (M) vs. Del Oro
- Wednesday - JV golf (M) vs. Del Oro, JV/V Baseball @ Lincoln, Frosh Baseball vs. Lincoln
- Thursday - V Golf (M) @ Folsom, Tennis (M) vs. Granite Bay, Swimming @ Granite Bay, Softball vs. Granite Bay, Volleyball @ Folsom, STUNT vs. Rocklin/Liberty Ranch
- Friday - Track @ Bella Vista Distance Meet, JV/V Baseball @ Oakmont, Frosh Baseball vs. Oakmont
- Saturday - Frosh/JV Baseball vs. De La Salle
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - This article was shared with me by a teacher and coach. It is a great insight to the teenage mind in the 21st century and why they have so much anxiety. Some of the items discussed are things we can all work on with the student-athletes and help them learn coping skills and how to be prepared for life after high school. As the sub-title says, “We’ve created an environment that fosters anxiety rather than resilience." A good read for any parent, coach, or teacher… https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/what-mentally-strong-people-dont-do/201711/10-reasons-teens-have-so-much-anxiety-today
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408