Announcements and Important Events
- Basketball (Women) - The Wildcats lost to eventual section champion Sac High in the semi finals 64-37. The girls battled all game and were led by Jada Lewis with 15 points. The girls are headed to the nor cal playoffs for the second year in a row and will next face Enterprise High in Redding on Tuesday night as the 14 seed.
- Soccer (Men) - The boys' traveled to Turlock High School to take on the #1 seed in Division 1, the Turlock High School Bulldogs. Whitney came out and dominated in the first half maintaining the majority of the possession and taking 9 shots in the opening frame, with 6 of the shots on frame. In the 24th minute, Whitney took the lead when a free-kick was played into the penalty box with senior Brian Plasencia heading the ball to senior Zack Mason who found the back of the net. In the 68th minute, Turlock played a free kick into the box which Whitney junior goalkeeper Jake Kirkland hit up into the air and after catching the ball on the rebound, Turlock senior Isaiah Johnson knocked the ball out of Kirkland's hands and into the net knotting the game at 1-1. In the 78th minute, Turlock received the ball at the top of the Whitney box and slotted the ball past a diving Kirkland putting the Bulldogs up 2-1. Whitney had a fantastic finish to the year, winning 9 games in a row before Turlock, winning the SFL and making it to the Division 1 semi-finals.
- Soccer (Women) - The Wildcats faced St. Francis last Thursday night at Rocklin HS for the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section title Championship game. This was the second meeting for these two teams this season. In the first meeting it was a 1-1 draw. The Wildcats came out strong in the first half creating scoring opportunities early in the game. Whitney didn't find the back of the net until the 24th minute when Kiera Utush shot the ball to the top of the net to take the 1-0 lead (assisted by Junior Ashley Ryan) at half. In the second half, Sophomore Sydney Johnson shot the ball to the far post, hit the post and the ball found the back of the net at the 51st minute to give the Wildcats a 2-0 lead. Goal assisted by Senior Laney Paduveris. Kiera Utush scored the 3rd goal 58th minute into the second half to give the Wildcats a 3-0 win and the second CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Championship title in school history. Outstanding job by the Wildcats defense and goalkeeper (Senior Grace McDonald, Senior Captain Amber Swenson, Junior Ashley Ryan, Sophomore Tanya Placensia and Freshman goalkeeper Reese Clarke, holding the St. Francis offense to zero goals in the match. Congratulations to the 2019 CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Champions!On to the NorCal playoffs on Tuesday, February 26th.
- Wrestling - no score reports entered from state tournament
- Showcase night is Monday, March 4th. At 6:30 pm the incoming freshmen and their parents will start touring the campus. The sports will be in the small gym. It is an expectation that you and your student-athletes will be there. Have flyers for summer, calendars, off-season information and more available. This will be the first impression you have on this group. Each sport will have a table so be ready to decorate your table with awards, gear, uniforms, etc. to make it look appealing.
- We will not be charging a gate fee for swim
- The SFL commissioner will be setting some guidelines for senior night ceremonies as we move forward into the 2019-20 school year
- Next year we will host the 2020 SFL wrestling championships on either February 7th or 8th
MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
- Monday - practice day
- Tuesday - Men’s golf @ Roseville, Tennis @ Vista Del Lago, Women’s soccer vs. Cardinal Newman (CIF State Play-offs), Women’s basketball @ Enterprise (CIF State Play-offs)
- Wednesday - Men’s golf vs. Roseville, Tennis vs. Ponderosa, Track vs. Lincoln (L)
- Thursday - Men’s golf vs. Rio Americano, Swimming vs. Rocklin, STUNT at Rocklin (SFL meet)
- Friday - Baseball vs. Laguna Creek
- Saturday - Softball @ Sheldon