Announcements and Important Events
- Basketball (Men) - Season came to a close with a 1 point loss vs. Woodcreek. The wildcats qualified for the play-offs for the 6th straight consecutive year.
- Basketball (Women) - The wildcats with a big win over traditional section power Modesto Christian 58-44. Led by seniors Jada Lewis with 27 and Emily Brustman with 17 points. The girls now move into the section semi finals for a second straight year to face Sac High on Tuesday. Also, with a victory in the quarter-finals last week, the lady cats locked down a spot in the NorCal Tournament starting next week.
- Soccer (Men) - The visiting McClatchy Lions came into the quarterfinal game at Whitney undefeated on the year winning 21 games and drawing 3. The Lions were also the Division 1 Section runner-ups the previous year. Early in the match, McClatchy came out strong and were able to take the lead in the 15th minute. It didn't take the Wildcats long to finally notch their first goal when freshmen Robbie Mora played a free kick into the ball for senior Zack Mason to tap in for the goal. Neither team would be able to find the back of the net again so for the second game in a row, Whitney finished regulation tied 1-1. Heading into a penalty kick shootout, Mason shot first for the Wildcats and scored. The Lions responded scoring their first goal as well. Senior Marcus Tovar took the next shot and also connected from the spot, and again the Lions responded with a goal. Third up for the Wildcats was junior Miguel Saavedra scored form the spot, but this time the Lions could not even the score as Whitney freshmen goalkeeper Andrew VandenAkker came up with the big stop. Next up, sophomore Kyle Reilly scored from the spot, but the Lions were able to score as well. Being up 4-3, Mora stepped up to the spot with the chance to put the Wildcats through to the Division 1 Section Semi-finals and converted the kick giving the Wildcats their 9th straight win in a row.
- Soccer (Women) - The Wildcats won 3-0 over the 7th seed St. Mary's from Stockton last Friday on the second round of Playoffs. The Wildcats took the an early lead with a header goal scored by Laney Paduveris and assisted by Kiera Utush in the 5th minute of the first half. Second goal came from a corner kick taken by Laney Paduveris to find Kiera Utush and she headed the ball in the back of the net. Third goal (another header) scored by Lexi Cavarra and assisted by Kiera Utush. The Wildcat's defensive had another excellent performance and our freshman goalkeeper Reese Clarke with a shut out.
- Spring sports rosters are now getting finalized. We are not adding anymore athletes unless they are coming out from a play-off team from the winter.
- After a lengthy interview process on Friday afternoon, the Athletic Department is hiring Kami Kazel as the new women’s volleyball head coach. Welcome aboard Kami.
- Game photos from last week are available at MaxPreps.com
- Access Sacramento will televise Tuesday's Whitney vs. Sacramento, SJS Girls Basketball D-2 playoff game on the Hometown Sports Game-of-the-Week
MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
- Monday - Practices
- Tuesday - Men’s soccer playoffs @ Turlock (6 pm), Women’s soccer vs. Ponderosa (6 pm), Women’s basketball @ Sac High (7 pm)
- Wednesday - Practices
- Thursday - Playoff games to be determined (Soccer Championships)
- Friday - Playoff games to be determined (Basketball Championships)
- Saturday - Practices