Announcements and Important Events
Weekly Communication 2/4/19
Good evening Whitney Student-athletes, Families, and Supporters - Below are a variety of items related to our Athletic Department for the week of 02/04/19. Good luck to the winter sports as they enter the final week of league play. Playoff brackets will be released later this week. Spring sports start today!
- Basketball (Men) - On this rainy Friday night the wildcats entered the game desperate for a win. Playing the mighty Trojans of Oak Ridge the Cats came out to a hot start but cooled off only scoring 5 points in the second quarter. A close game headed into the 4th, a huge 3 from Callan Ferreira to get things rolling led to Whitney scoring 27 points in the quarter and coming out with a victory. Go cats go. Fight cats fight. Gooooooooo Cats!
- Basketball (Women) - Wildcats won a great game over highly ranked Oak Ridge 54-52. Emily Brustman led the way with 16 points and Jada Lewis added 10. Zoya Mirza also added 7 big points off the bench to help spark the great win. Next up is senior night against granite bay next Wednesday.
- Soccer (Men) - Whitney and Granite Bay came out and battled at the Wildcat's senior night game, but neither team could find the back of the net in the first half. The Grizzlies came out after the second half and after a ball took an awkward bounce off a ricochet, the ball was played into senior Ryan Rosnack who was able to beat Whitney junior goalkeeper Jake Kirkland on a 1-v-1 in the 41st minute. Four minutes later in the 45th minute, senior Marcus Tovar sent the ball up to sophomore Kyle Reilly who controlled the ball, took a touch inside before slotting the ball into senior Zack Mason who beat the Granite Bay goalkeeper on a 1-v-1 knotting the score up at 1. In the 77th minute, senior Brian Plasencia won the ball outside the box playing fellow senior Nate Semanski into the corner who sent a cross in that Mason headed the ball in the net for a 2-1 lead. The Wildcats held on for the 2-1 win.
- Soccer (Women) - Solid performance for the Wildcats tonight. The score (3-2 win over Oak Ridge) doesn't reflect how hard they played. This was a great win for the Wildcats. Goals scored by sophomores Isabel Barragan and Sydney Johnson assisted by Kiera Utush and Isabel Barragan. Third goal came from a pass from Kiera Utush to Sydney Johnson. Sydney crossed it into the PK box and deflected off one of the Oak Ridge defender into the back of their net to give the 3-2 lead and game win to the Wildcats. Defense played as well. Very proud of the team effort.
- Wrestling - Isaiah Schannep becomes Whitney Wrestling's first SFL League Champion! He defeated his opponent from Granite Bay 5-0 in the finals. Ryan Murphy took 2nd place, and both earn All-League honors. Isaiah and Ryan, along with Angel Chavez, Johnny Stephens, Ben Murphy, Matt Sherer, and Brody Stone all qualify for the Division I tournament Feb 8.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- Hall of fame nominations for the Hall of Fame 2019 Class are now open. Click on the link (https://whitneywildcats.org/main/adnews/ID/48553813) for more information and the nomination form.
- Summer youth camp information will be coming soon.
- Baseball and softball NorCal regional tournaments are a possibility in the future
- Legislative action regarding air quality could possibly come down within the next few months
- Track/XC/swim athletes cannot compete against collegiate athletes, even if competing as an unattached athlete
MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
- Monday - Nothing
- Tuesday - Men’s soccer @ Rocklin, Men’s basketball vs. Granite Bay
- Wednesday - Women’s soccer vs. Rocklin, Women’s basketball vs. Granite Bay
- Thursday - Basketball at Rocklin
- Friday - Basketball at Rocklin, wrestling sub-sections
- Saturday - Wrestling sub-sections
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - “A good Coach can change a GAME. A great Coach can change a LIFE.” - John Wooden
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408