Announcements and Important Events
Weekly Communication - 1/28/19MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
Good morning Whitney student-athletes, family and friends - Below are a variety of items related to our Athletic Department for the week of 01/28/19. Good luck to the winter sports as they enter the final stages of league play and fight for play-off spots and league titles.
- Basketball (Men) - Junior Ryan king led the ferocious wildcats with 25 points as Whitney was down by 8 at the half while playing at Del Oro. The coaching staff and their players rallied around each other to pick up their 3rd win in league moving to 3-3 with an intense third and fourth quarter to secure the league win against the Golden Eagles.
- Basketball (Women) - The lady cats traveled to Miramonte High School on Saturday to take on the #9 ranked team in the state. The lady cats were able to put 54 points on the board but fell short.
- Soccer (Men) - Folsom had not lost at home since 2015 so Whitney had their work cut out for them. The Wildcats didn't waste much time as senior Zack Mason found fellow senior Brian Plasencia in the 4th minute at the top of the box who returned a through ball to the on-running Mason who beat the Folsom goalkeeper on a 1-v-1 giving the Wildcats an early 1-0 lead. The lead would remain as the Wildcats took the 1-0 lead into the half. Folsom would knot the game up at 1-1 when senior Kevin Grewal found fellow senior Jordan Sabalsa in the box who slotted the shot past Whitney junior goalkeeper Jake Kirkland. Kirkland and the defense would not give up another goal in the match as Kirkland made six saves for the game. Whitney would respond quickly in the 65th minute when sophomore Diego Sanchez lifted the ball over the Folsom back line for Mason to run onto and launched the ball from 35 yards out and over the head of the Folsom goalkeeper. Mason's brace gave the Wildcats the 2-1 lead. Whitney's defense would remain strong and the Wildcats held on for the 2-1 win at Folsom giving the Bulldogs their first home lost since 2015.
- Soccer (Women) - The Wildcats hosted Folsom on Friday. First time that the Wildcats faced Folsom, the game ended in a 1-1 draw. The Wildcats took the lead early in the first half. Goal scored 8 minutes in the half with a nice cross from Sydney Johnson from the right side of the field just outside the 18 yard box and Laney Paduveris headed it inside the goal. After the first goal the Wildcats played very composed and maintained possession. Second and third goals came in at the 23rd and 38th minute both goals scored by Lexi Cavarra and assisted by Kiera Utush and Laney Paduveris. Leading by 3 at the half, the Wildcats didn't lead up . At the 79th minute, Laney Paduveris crossed the ball from the left side of the field to the PK area where Sydney Johnson shot the ball and put it in the back of the net to end the game with a 4-0 win. The defense was a big part of our win shutting down the Bulldogs and distributing the ball to the our attackers. A huge team effort and a solid win.
- Wrestling - Isaiah Schannep and Ryan Murphy had great matches and wins against local rival Rocklin in the last dual of the year.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- Winter sports are coming to an end and several teams are in the hunt for SFL titles and play-off spots.
- Spring athletes need to make sure they have completed the on-line registration process and that their spring sport is loaded on their profile.
- Spring sports and try-outs will begin next Monday, 2/4/19. Athletes not cleared on the first day will be marked as absent.
- The women’s head volleyball job position is now posted at https://www.edjoin.org/Home/DistrictJobPosting/1131099
- Congratulations to Coach John Bosco on his appointment as the women’s head tennis coach. Coach Bosco will now be the program head for men’s and women’s tennis.
- Congratulation to Coach Trent Johnson on his appointment as the men’s and women’s director of water polo. Coach Johnson will now oversee both programs and is in the process of hiring his coaching staff.
- Monday - Soccer (M) @ Granite Bay, Soccer (W) vs. Granite Bay
- Tuesday - Basketball (M) @ Folsom
- Wednesday - Basketball (W) @ Folsom, Soccer (M) @ Oak Ridge, Soccer (W) vs. Oak Ridge
- Thursday - Basketball vs. Oak Ridge
- Friday - Basketball vs. Oak Ridge, SFL Wrestling Championships
- Saturday - SFL Wrestling Championships
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - "Success at anything will always come down to this; focus and effort and we control both.” - D. Johnson
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408