Announcements and Important Events
Weekly Communication for 01/07/19MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
Good evening Whitney Student-athletes, Parents, and Supporters - Below are a variety of items related to our Athletic Department for the week of 01/07/19. First and foremost, I hope each of you took some time off and enjoyed creating memories with your family and friends. Now that we are back to the daily grind and the second semester begins, here are some important things for the coming week.
- Basketball (Men) - At the frosh/soph level a team effort lead to a 3rd place victory over rival Rocklin in tournament play. In varsity league play, the Wildcats beat visiting Del Oro 71-42 with Player of the Game honors going to Nick Tawney.
- Basketball (Women) - Wildcats with a huge comeback win to open league against Del Oro. Great team effort led by Jada Lewis with 24 points and Emily Brustman with 13. Alyssa Baker was incredible off the bench and the Macfarlane twins helped lead the second half charge.
- Soccer (Men) - In what came out to be a sloppy game for both teams as they look to shake off the holiday rust, Whitney drew with perrenial Division 1 power Davis 1 to 1.
- Soccer (Women) - In Junior Varsity action and the first league game after Christmas break Whitney came out fired up and notched 3 goals in the first half against Del Oro. Whitney kept the pressure up in the second and added one more goal to make it a final of 4-0. The varsity opened league play with a 5-2 win over Del Oro as well.
- Wrestling - Isaiah Schannep took 1st place at the Joe Rios Memorial tournament and he also was voted Most Outstanding Wrestler at the tournament. In league action against Oak Ridge, the match ended in a 40-40 tie, with Oak Ridge earning the win after the officials had to go to the 8th tie-breaker.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- Coach Gatson earned her 100th win as the head coach of the women’s basketball program. Congratulations Coach!
- There will not be any student hall on 1/7 as the students will have little to no work as it is the first day of the semester.
- Grades are due later this week from the first semester and we will have eligibility reports to the coaches late this week or early next week. They will communicate with your son/daughter. Each student-athlete must have a 2.00 GPA (unweighted).
- Spring athletes need to get their physicals and register ON-LINE <CLICK HERE>.
- Monday - Soccer (frosh/soph) vs. Vista Del Lago
- Tuesday - Basketball (Men) vs. Folsom
- Wednesday - Wrestling at Granite Bay, Basketball (Women) vs. Folsom, Soccer (Women) at Folsom, Soccer (Men) vs. Folsom
- Thursday - Basketball at Oak Ridge (frosh/soph and JV-boys)
- Friday - Basketball at Oak Ridge (JV-girls, both varsity teams), Soccer (Women) at Oak Ridge, Soccer (Men) vs. Oak Ridge
- Saturday - Tim Brown Memorial Wrestling Tournament (Sacramento, CA)
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - In this episode of Positive U Jon Gordon talks with Anthony Rizzo about what drives his success (on and off the field), lessons he's learned along the way and how to be a better teammate.
Anthony is a three-time All-Star Major League Baseball player for the Chicago Cubs. Anthony is also cancer survivor who, through this Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation, raises money for cancer research and provides support to children and their families battling the disease. Learn more about Anthony and his foundation at rizzo44.comListen to Anthony Rizzo | Chicago Cubs World Champion from Positive University Podcast in Podcasts. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/positive-university-podcast/id1329995882?mt=2&i=1000427101916
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408