Announcements and Important Events
Weekly Communication for 12/24/18MAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
Good evening Whitney Student-athletes, Parents, and Supporters - Below are a variety of items related to our Athletic Department for the week of 12/24/18. First and foremost, happy holidays to all of you. I hope you take the chance to step away from everything and enjoy some quality time with your family and friends.
- Basketball (M) - In JV play against Christian Brothers, Whitney jumped out to a quick lead and never relinquished it. Solid team defense turned into easy buckets in transition. Luka Popovic had 16 points followed by Anthony Jacques and Anthony Williams each with 8 pts.
- Basketball (W) - In the Del Oro Tournament against Foothill of Redding, Jada Lewis led the team with 29 points, Emily Brustman had timely steals and Emmy Fowler had 8 big points for a huge non conference win for the lady cats.
- Soccer (M) - In JV action, the Wildcats took on Chico and led 7-0 by half time, 11-0 by final in a comfortable win for Whitney. Goals from Valdez(4) Reed(5) Goularte(2). The two players of the game for the Wildcats were Nyden Reed with 5 goals, Brendan Valdez with 4.
- Soccer (W) - Good way to finish the preseason with a 2-0 win over Placer. Two goals were scored by senior Laila Begic and sophomore Isabel Barragan, goals assisted by senior Kiera Utush and senior Laney Paduveris. Great teamwork.
Wildcats end the preseason with 7 wins 2 losses and 2 ties record. Good job ladies!
- Wrestling - Isaiah Schannep and Brody Stone earned big pins for the Wildcats despite the loss in the Wildcats first SFL duel match.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- All spring athletes need to register for a sport by completing the on-line registration process. CLICK HERE to start that process. Remember, you need a current physical on file (they are good for one calendar year) and the entire on-line process completed in order to try-out.
- Monday - Family day
- Tuesday - Family day
- Wednesday - Men’s basketball travels to the MaxPreps Holiday Classic
- Thursday - Women’s basketball starts play in the West Coast Jamboree, Frosh/Soph and JV men’s basketball host the Whitney Winter Classic, Frosh/Soph and JV women’s basketball begin play in the Woodcreek Tournament
- Friday - Men’s basketball continues play in the MaxPreps Holiday Classic, Women’s basketball plays in the West Coast Jamboree, Frosh/Soph and JV men’s basketball host the Whitney Winter Classic, Frosh/Soph and JV women’s basketball play in the Woodcreek Tournament, Wrestling travels to the Pat Lovell Classic in Santa Cruz
- Saturday - All basketball teams continue tournament play
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - “He stands at the plate with his heart pounding fast. The bases are loaded, the die has been cast. Mom and Dad cannot help him, he stands all alone. A hit at this moment would send his team home. The ball meets the plate, he swings and he misses. There’s a groan from the crowd, with some boos and some hisses. A thoughtless voice cries, “Strike out the bum.” Tears fill his eyes, the game’s no longer fun. So open up your heart and give him a break, for it’s moments like this, a man you can make. Keep this in mind when you hear someone forget, he is just a little boy and not a man yet."
HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND GO CATS!
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408