Announcements and Important Events
12/17/18 Weekly CommunicationMAJOR HAPPENINGS THIS WEEK (see www.whitneywildcats.org for specific times and facilities):
Good evening Whitney Athletics Fans, Supporters, and Student-Athletes - Below are a variety of items related to our Athletic Department for the week of 12/17/18. The winter sports continue to excel as we enter finals week and winter break. This is an important week as the student-athletes prepare to tackle several finals and find out what they earned for their semester grades. Please make sure you take some time to step away from the grind of academics and athletics to spend some quality time with your family and friends during the holiday season.
- Basketball (M) - The Wildcats traveled to a bay area tournament to take on out of section competition. In the final game, Ryan King scored 17 and was named to the all tourney team. Wildcat finished in 3rd place in the tourney.
- Basketball (W) - Wildcats with a big non conference win over Sacramento Bee ranked Placer. A tenacious defensive effort helped seal the win as the lady cats had 20 team steals and 6 blocks. Great team win for the Lady Cats.
- Soccer (M) - Whitney traveled to Oakmont on Thursday. In the 37th minute, Zach Mason completed the brace when junior Jack Grove was able to head the ball on a free kick back into the middle for Mason to run onto and hammer the shot home. With the goal, the Wildcats took a 3-0 lead into the half and never looked back as the Wildcats claimed the 4-1 victory.
- Soccer (W) - The Wildcats won over Pleasant Valley 4-0. The Wildcats had control most of the game as Pleasant Valley was only able to get 1 shot against the Wildcats goalie. Lexi Cavarra opened the score assisted by Sydney Johnson in the first half. Laney Paduveris, Kiera Utush and Isabel Barragan each on with 1 goal in the second half. It was a good game for the Wildcats.
- Wrestling - A junior varsity tournament was held over the weekend at Whitney. Thank you to all the volunteers that helped out.
ITEMS OF NOTE:
- At the booster club meeting the other night it was brought to our attention that BlackTop comedy in Rocklin has a banquet style room that can seat around 100 people comfortably for a cheap price if you are looking for a place for a small banquet or team get together.
- The fall results are in for the SFL All-sports award. At the end of the fall season, the men’s sports are tied for fourth with Oak Ridge at 23 points. The women’s sports are in second place with a score of 51 points. Overall, the Cats are in fourth place in the SFL after the fall season.
- Spring coaches are finalizing their non-league schedules and we will have those available on the website as soon as possible.
- If your son or daughter is going to try-out for a spring sport, please make sure you CLICK HERE to register them. If they already played a sport this year, make sure you log in and add the specific spring sport to their profile.
- Monday - Women’s basketball vs. Franklin of Elk Grove, Men’s basketball (Frosh-soph, JV) at Capital Christian
- Tuesday - Women’s soccer at Davis (JV/V), Women’s soccer at Bella Vista (frosh), Men’s soccer (JV/V) at Chico
- Wednesday - Wrestling at Del Oro (start of league matches)
- Thursday - Women’s soccer vs. Placer, Men’s and Women’s varsity basketball at Del Oro Tournament
- Friday - Men’s and Women’s varsity basketball at Del Oro Tournament
- Saturday - Men’s and Women’s varsity basketball at Del Oro Tournament
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK - In this episode of the Positive University Podcast, Jon Gordon talks with Dan Britton and Jimmy Page about the power of ONE WORD and how you can use it to better your New year and become the person you are meant to be. Learn more at www.getoneword.com A few highlights: 87% of people, in some way create a New Year’s Resolution but 90% fail after the first month. One Word moves you from a To Do list to a To Be list. It helps you become who you want to be. If you want a foolproof way to be better, to become the person you are meant to be… this is for you. The power of One Word is for you, your family, and your team. One Word’s power is found in its simplicity. How to find your One Word: Look in - Unplug from the busyness and distractions. Ask yourself: What do I need? What’s in my way? What’s got to go? Look up - Looking towards your creator for direction. Look out - Finding ways to live out your word. Listen to One Word that Will Change Your Life | With Dan Britton & Jimmy Page from Positive University Podcast in Podcasts. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/positive-university-podcast/id1329995882?mt=2&i=1000425441625
Director of Athletics
Whitney High School
916.632.6500 ext. 6408